Friday, January 2, 2009

Good Prata anyone?

I thought I will add this segment since I have been eating quite a bit over my leave period between Christmas and New Year.

Lots of people have posts about pratas and roti johns and I shall have my take on some that I have tried.

I recently tried tissue pratas and plain roti john at Al-Azhar Eating Restaurant (opp Beauty World Shopping Centre) and I compared it to the ones I tried @ The Roti Prata House (Thomson) and The Cheese Prata Shop @ Clementi Rd (NUS). First, my take on the tissue prata, famed for its crispiness. I think it is a good supper snack esp if you don't want too much fat and ghee in it. However, if it is left too long after being cooked, the prata will "lao hong", losing its crispiness. Over the 3 places that I have tried, the best so far will be The Roti Prata House, followed by The Cheese Prata Shop. Next time I try it, I will note down how long it takes before it gets "lao hong". But the weird thing about eating tissue is best to eat it quick and with your own hands and not with utensils. Utensils take longer to tear and this time wasted means your prata may turn "stale" after a while.

For the roti john, people's taste may defer but I think it is best eaten with sweet chilli. Maybe because I have a sweet tooth, but believe me... it is heavenly after you taste it with sweet chilli. I think the best roti john I have tasted so far has got to be Al-Azhar's... cooked to perfection in my view. The bread is not over-fried so that it will not harden so quickly leaving you good time to savour it warm. The bread at The Roti Prata House @ Thomson is quite hard and it loses its appeal after the 2nd bite.

That's my take on 2 of my favourite supper snacks.

I am open to comments on this. Perhaps you guys and gals out there may have different views....

No comments: