Monday, September 17, 2007

Be wary and take care of your back!

It ain't fun having slipped disc at all. worse still - mine occurs @ 2 pts (L2/L3 and L5/S1) and one of it contacts the nerves roots. So as much as I exert too much during strenous physical activity, there will be some ache. The L5/S1 region is the most common ailment and yet the most painful when it happens.

Treatment so far includes physiotherapy sessions to strengthen the back muscles and maintain a proper posture as much as possible and avoid carrying heavy stuff. I have also enrolled myself in yoga too. According to my friends who have the same problem, they say it helps.

So far, I had occasionly neglected most and more critically on the strengthening exercises and posture, thus the pain when I had coughed slightly more forcefully than usual while washing up, forcibly putting me into a squat, subsequently dragging myself back to bed and lie supine hoping the pain will alleviate. Didn't happen, so off to the hospital I went for treatment.

Words of advice:

1. If you are carrying an injury, take care and follow the prescriptions ordered, no matter how troublesome. Believe me, it won't be troublesome until you go to the hospital, like me.

2. If you are seeking treatment by doing some prescibed exercises, don't forget to do lots of stretching to lumber up your back. There are many websites which promote these exercises and I will link you to some lower back exercises from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.

3. Take care of your back when you are young. When you get older and are more prone to ailments, then having a potentially paralysing injury ain't fun at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take care man, hope your back recovers soon.

-DT